The Domaine des Faverges, located in the canton of Vaud on the heights of Saint-Saphorin in Lavaux, has been the property of the State of Fribourg since 1848. Ideally located, it offers a magnificent view of Lake Geneva.
The estate is operated by two independent winemakers and managed by the State Vineyard Administration. Gérald Vallélian, who grows 6.6 Bio Suisse certified hectares of vineyards, is also in charge of the winemaking for all the wines of the Faverges. Yvan Regamey cultivates 8.8 hectares, and 2020 will mark 100 years that his family has been working these vineyards.
The estate is planning to renovate the buildings to adapt to new winemaking techniques and to offer a welcoming area for tastings.
The wines of the Domaine des Faverges
From Vaud or Fribourg? The grapes grow on Vaud soil: Carina Yerly, head of Sales and Administration, says that it is therefore a wine of the Vaud terroir, but with Fribourg at its heart.
- Innovation range. A range of wines which undergo a variety of winemaking processes: Chasselas aged on lees, whole-bunch Pinot Noir, Syrah and Merlot aged in barrels.
- Tradition range: Red blends fermented in metal vats, Chasselas in metal vats and aged barrels and the red Cuvée du Patrimoine Assemblage, raised in wooden barrels and vats.
The wines are on sale at the Domaine des Faverges and at the Grangeneuve store, at the Agricultural Institute of the State of Fribourg. All wines are also available from the online shop.
Food and wine pairings
- The Domaine des Faverges Chasselas, THE estate’s emblematic wine, goes perfectly with a moitié-moitié fondue.
- The fruity side of La syrah, goes well with both meat and fish.
- Le merlaü, with its beautiful tannins, enhances games’ tasty sauces and meats.
- A Seigneur de Glâne, half-dry sparkling wine, is suitable to celebrate the Winter holidays with a bubble of sweetness.
The activities of the cellar and in the region
The winery organizes several events, some rather original such as the yoga-tasting: walk in the vineyards, yoga session, then wine tasting with eyes closed in mindfulness.
Some activity recommendations:
- From Saint-Saphorin to Lutry, across the terraces of Lavaux
- Walk or picnic by Lake Geneva
Organise your events at Domaine des Faverges
For your corporate meals, family parties or wedding aperitifs, the estate rents its winepress room, for 60 to 80 people, complete with kitchen and access to the terrace.
A smaller room for 10 people is ideal for your workshops.
Your visit to the cellar
The cellar is open every Saturday from 10 am to 12 pm for sale.
For cellar visits and tastings, please book by phone or email.
A visit to the cellar will allow you to discover an incredible place and to experience the passion of the winemakers and the cellarman.