A lover of wine and nature, Monique Défayes warmly welcomes you in Le Rhyton d’Or winery in Leytron, just under the Ardévaz, near the vineyards. You can taste twenty traditional or barrelled wines. She also offers several pleasant hikes or walks around Leytron.
Le Rhyton d’Or winery in Leytron offers in the region of twenty wines.
The estate has existed since 1848 and has been handed down from generation to generation. Jean-Jacques Défayes is the fourth generation. With his wife Monique, they worked together to maintain their vineyard, vineyard nursery and winery. The first vintage was bottled in 1977. After the death of Jean-Jacques in 2015, Monique chose to continue the adventure with her colleagues by retaining the spirit of the Rhyton d’Or and the quality of the wines grown.
There are 12 grape varieties and 20 wines which are divided into two ranges: Classique and Cœur de Roche.
Did you know that rhyton, which gives its name to the winery, is also a historical object? A drinking horn, most often decorated with a ram’s head, a symbol that is found on the Défayes’ coat of arms
The favourite grape varieties of Monique Défayes from the Rhyton d’Or winery
- La Petite Arvine: as an aperitif, for its finesse.
- The Humagne Rouge, for its untamed side, with grilled meat or game.
- The Diolinoir Cœur de Roche: for a special occasion.
Hiking and walking near Leytron in Valais
Monique Défayes likes to walk. Here are some hiking ideas in and around Leytron:
- Followers of the plain, enjoy a 3-hour walk, mid-way between Saillon and Leytron, via the footbridge at Farinet, for about 300m of difference in altitude (from Leytron, you can reach by car close to the footbridge ).
- In the summer, the Ovronnaz chairlift is open to go to the Cabane Rambert, lac de Fully or enjoy the view from the restaurant on arrival. You can also take a stroll through the forest.
- La Seya, a round trip of 3h, very natural and untamed.
To relax, the Baths of Saillon or Ovronnaz.
Around 15 minutes from Ovronnaz, it is easy to go to the Rhyton d’Or winery for wine tasting just before or after a walk in the Valais resort.
Two key events at the Rhyton d’Or winery
- Cantonal open cellars in the spring.
- The Humagne festival in November, every two years (next edition in 2018)
The Rhyton d’Or winery receives you by appointment
Alone, with family, with friends, with your company or in a group, make a booking before visiting.
Le Rhyton d’Or can receive up to 20 people for wine tastings of your choice. Once you have enjoyed the wine, Monique Défayes will gladly recommend a restaurant that will accommodate your taste in wine and food.
Enjoy combining walks and hikes with your visit to Le Rython d’Or winery!