This time, it was in Genestrerio at Agriloro that our wine tour of Switzerland led us. You will love to discover the unusual history of this vineyard and especially their wines. That morning, while discovering the rich biodiversity of the vineyard, two hares came to greet us, in addition to Meinrad Perler owner, and Francesco Tettamanti director and Mattia Vossen oenologist.
Agriloro was founded in 1981 by Meinrad Perler and 7 associates. Separated in the late 80s, the current owner took over the estate alone. It was the encounter with Mr Rainer Zierock at the beginning of 1990 that influenced Agriloro with the direction the estate should take both in the vineyard, with unconventional choice of grape varieties, or in the winery with a strong presence of barrel ageing.
With the 1994 vintage, its 2 medals and the opinion of the journalist René Gabriel, Agriloro sees its Merlot ranked as one of the 3 best Ticino wines. So began the success of Agriloro!
Which wines to enjoy during your visit to Agriloro in Genestrerio?
At La Prella, a new cellar with a very modern architectural style, you can taste twenty wines from the 29 grape varieties grown in the two estates. You will discover an impressive winery with barrels and bottles to keep for several years.
20% of the assortment of Agriloro is made up of white wines. This is quite exceptional since the Ticino area can count only 7% of white wines, the rest in Merlot (82%), and other red grape varieties.
As Meinrad mentions in the video, there is something for everyone. Ask for whatever you like and you will be served! Short of ideas? We can put you on the right track.
The emblematic wines of Agriloro
- The Granito: an elegant intense white, composed of Chardonnay, Pinot Blanc and Pinot Gris and Sauvignon Blanc which improves with the years.
- The Casimiro: this wine perfectly reflects the spirit of curiosity and research of Agriloro: to do something different. It contains between 8 and 13 varieties of grapes according to the vintage on a basis of 50% to 60% of Merlot.
- The Sottobosco is the flagship wine of Agriloro. Composed of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. A typical Bordeaux blend… with the finesse and elegance that made the Ticino wines famous far beyond our borders.
Agriloro Wine & Food pairing
- The Syrah and the Casimiro with game.
- The Sottobosco with grilled beef
- And the Gewürztraminer with asparagus and soft cheeses.
Agriloro, the ideal place for your group aperitifs in Ticino
The tasting area in the heart of La Prella, contemporary and welcoming, has a magnificent view over Mendrisio and Monte Generoso. You can organise tastings with your family and friends, your clients or with your colleagues up to 30 people.
For all your professional or private events around a wine tasting in Ticino, contact the Agriloro team!
Discovering the Ticino vineyards around Mendrisio
Mendrisio is one of the biggest wine regions in Ticino with more than 250 hectares out of the 1100 in Ticino.
- Feel free to discover the vineyards of the La Prella estate.
- Enjoy the stunning views of the Piedmont Alps.
If you are feeling peckish, ask Meinrad or Francesco to recommend a Grotto, typical tavern, where you can accompany your meal with one of the Agriloro wines.
So dear Swiss Wine Lover, when will you next visit Ticino and Agriloro?