Cave de la Côte in Tolochenaz is a cooperative representing 300 local producers. It produces more than 200 wines, including many award-winning examples. As if that were not enough, it was also voted Swiss winery of the year at the 2019 Grand Prix du Vin Suisse. Rodrigo Banto, the cellar’s oenologist, together with Sylvie Camandona, marketing manager, welcome us into their cosy space, allowing us to discover all their wine varieties.
Created in 1929, Cave de la Côte aims to bring together the strengths of a number of winemakers. It takes care of production, sales and marketing, allowing the growers to focus on their craft: the vine.
What are Rodrigo’s favourite wines?
Rodrigo struggles to answer, although, he admits that the Domaine de la Bâtie’s Chasselas Premier Grand Cru is superb. He also likes Sauvignon Blanc and Doral (a cross between Chardonnay and Chasselas), which are rare and interesting grape varieties. As for red wines, Rodrigo is particularly enamoured with the Galotta, which is powerful, colourful and complex.
A few food and wine pairing suggestions
- Sauvignon blanc with oysters and shellfish
- Doral with Etivaz flakes.
- With game, you should open a bottle of Galotta, Divico, or the Inspiration Collection’s Distinguo La Côte AOC.
- For the holiday season, choose the sparkling Auguste Chevalley Brut La Côte AOC or the Inspiration Collection’s Intensus La Côte AOC.
Characteristics of the Cave de la Côte wines
Cave de la Côte offers a wide range of wines, all of excellent quality, for all tastes and budgets.
The wines are organized into collections:
- Esprit terroir Collection: highlighting the features of the terroir
- Tradition Collection: Côte Vaudoise traditional grape varieties
- Expression Collection: where the special characteristics of each variety find their expression
- Inspiration Collection: superior range featuring more complex wines from different winemaking techniques.
Discover their wines in the cellar or during events including:
- Divinum in Morges
- Comptoir de Cossonay
- Expovina in Zurich
- Olma in St. Gallen
Things to do in the Tolochenaz region
Eating out and tasting Cave de la Côte wines:
- Cave de la Côte is partnered with chef Bernard Ravet of the Ermitage restaurant in Vufflens-le-Château, where you can sample the “Le Vin Vivant” wine collection whilst savouring haute cuisine dishes.
- More affordable, Le Tennis in Morges features delicious pizzas cooked in a wood-fired oven.
- La Nautique in Morges, with its waterfront terrace. Local refined dishes.
- Charme Thai in Denens
- Auberge de Villars-sous-Yens, traditional modern cuisine, fabulous tapas.
- L’Auberge du Chasseur in Allaman, where the speciality is the game
- Le Petit Manoir in Morges
- Hôtel de l’Ermitage Ravet
- Lodges and guest rooms in neighbouring villages, such as Etoy’s Charme du Prieuré
- Morges’ Balade des vins (wine stroll)
- Walk along the Boiron river
- Arboretum in Aubonne
- Picnic on the shores of Lake Léman and walk on the docks
- Audrey Hepburn’s story in the village of Tolochenaz
Visit to the Cave de la Côte wine cellar
The wine-shop is open from Monday to Saturday. Discover and taste all their own-production wines, as well as a selection of wines from other producers, all at a very good value for money.
By appointment, group visits to the wine cellar can be organised. We look forward to you contacting Cave de la Côte!