In Cabbio, in the Muggio valley, the Cantina Cavallini presents its wines and offers activities which are ideal for recharging your batteries.
We’re greeted by Grazia Cavallini on a late August morning at the Cantina Cavallini: the only winery in the Muggio valley. Come with us to discover a place where the bread is delivered at the toot of a horn!
Lovers of wine, nature, crafts and art – the Muggio valley is for you!
Here, the countryside is unique for the south of Ticino, its biodiversity is closer to that of the Mediterranean. Breathe in the fragrance of the woods that exude the scents of flowers and fruit such as sweet chestnuts, walnuts and hazelnuts.
During your wine tour, here are some of the activities you can try:
- Walks that are accessible to all, including families and those who don’t want to exert themselves ;-).
- Bird lovers will enjoy the visits of certain birds, and the chance to see them nesting.
- Artisans and local produce, such as honey producers.
- Art and photography collectors who exhibit their collections.
- The Ethnographic Museum.
“This place offers a beauty and a quality of life that are much needed in our modern society.”
Staying in the Muggio valley
The Cavallini family have a small holiday home known in Switzerland as a rustico or guérite available to rent. The Agritourisme il Roccolo is located in Morbio on the Cabbio road.
Grazia Cavallini’s favourite place
The waterfall at the heart of the Breggia Gorge Park. In warm and sunny weather, you can even go for a swim there.
Grazia and Luciano: founders of the Cantina Cavallini
Grazia told us how she married her wine expert, then together founded the cellar in 1995. They were the first small producers from Ticino to make and sell their own wine. Originally from Lugano, they immediately fell in love with the Muggio valley. It became very important to them to enhance the valley and life there. They thought it was only right that local residents could drink a local wine. And the locals love it, and have made it their own, becoming very attached to “their wine”.
Grazia Cavallini’s favourite wines
- The first wine – Pedrinate, a Merlot-Cabernet blend – is her favourite. To celebrate the 20th anniversary of this wine, they organised a vertical tasting with a sommelier.
“Opening bottles from 1995 was wonderful, it was like meeting a very elegant old lady.”
- Chambourcin, an organic wine, the first holder of the vegan label “YES VEG” .
- Libero: for young wine enthusiasts who like to discover new things every year. This secret blend changes every twelve months and contains no Merlot! It is fruity, simple, well-structured or exotic.
The Cantina Cavallini is open every day – just call before you visit!